Friday 3 October 2008

Nasi Mamak Maniac

Nasi mamak? Nasi kandar? Or anything related to it, will definitely be my favourite. Since I was small, I n my brothers had been introduced n brought up with the surrounding n environment of Mamak’s food. I still remember when I was small, my parents always bring us to eat Nasi Ali every week.

Then when I had to go for a tuition class, everyday my father will drop me at Kedai Mee Abu at Teluk Wanjah n had my lunch nasi mamak there while waiting for my tuition to start. When I started working n moved to KL, I still love to eat Nasi mamak but I couldn’t find the best like here in Alor Setar.

When I was pregnant with my last two children – Nabila & Hakeem, I was staying in Miri. I always craved for nasi mamak n bugging my hubby to get it. Unfortunately the two Mamak restaurants there didn’t taste the originality of it n totally spoilt my appetite.

Every year when we came back for holiday in Kedah, eating at mamak’s restaurant was always top on the lists. My favourite during night time is Nasi Royale at Hijau Kuning n for the breakfast is Nasi Zam Zam. Maybe some of u wonder having nasi mamak for breakfast? Well.. orang Kedah memang makan nasi mamak pagi2!

Even my hubby who is from Malacca dah terpengaruh n fell in love with nasi mamak ni. My daughter Nabila is the star. She can eat rice with fish curry in the morning n chicken curry for lunch. As for Hakeem he is so crazy over roti canai or he calls it ‘poratha’. He will cut the roti into small pieces, then folded it some more into round shape n deep it into the curry. No curry no roti for him. Tak main ah cicah gula-gula ni.. They are truly anak Mommy!


So after so long not going back to Kedah, one of my agenda Raya is makan nasi mamak. Last night I dragged my hubby, brother n dad to eat at Nasi Royale. We reached there at 10.15pm n the queue was so long. But because of the ‘high desire’ n dah terasa sampai ke tekak nak makan, I don’t mind to join the queue. When it came to my turn, I was the last one to get the rice as the rice had finished.

So the rest in the long queue have to wait for the additional rice to come. Surprisingly until I had finished eating mine, those same people still were standing there loyally, devotedly n patiently waiting for the rice to come. Huh… memang power tul penangan mamak royale ni!


And this morning as planned, we went to have breakfast at Zam Zam restaurant – nasi mamak again! This is my hubby’s favourite. We reached there at 8.00am n we saw the long queue as well. I just wonder orang Alor Setar ni memang duk makan nasi mamak ke raya2 ni? (which include me lah.. hehehe).

But truly it was really worth for all the sweat n effort to wait n queue up as the food was actually totally yummy n finger licking good. Susah nak cita lah.. dah cuba sekali sure nak lagi!

2 comments:

Auntie Roy said...

Voguemom, Aji ckp zul suka nasik mamak sebab mamak tu pakai selipar buat laukpauk tu...hehehe sedap ye..

this n that said...

air tangan mamak yg mengalir ke siku masuk ke pinggan tu yang sedap tu...he he he