Friday 17 October 2008

The Guilty Mommy

I sometimes like to spoil my children with toys. It’s not because I have lots of money but I bought it coz I love to see their joy n excitement of receiving it. Since Nadira was small, I used to buy for her every collection of Barbie Dolls. I would save n put aside some amount of money from my salary to buy barbie doll for her. She has more then 50 barbie dolls n still in a good condition n now passed them down to her little sis, Nabila.

As for Nabila, she just goes crazy over Pony. She has all full collection of Pony including all the accessories. And for my boy Hakeem, when he was small he started with Thomas train. Just name all kind of this Thomas n his friends train – Henry, Percy, Duncan, Gordon or whatever name - he has it. After bored with Thomas he then started to go for cars. Be it either small cars, big one or with the remote control he loves all of it.

I have taught n told my children that each time when I bought toy for them, I will tell them the toy is expensive. They have to take care n appreciate it. Though they at that time n even now don’t know the value of money but they seem to understand that to buy toys we need money. So whenever they want to buy toy they will ask me first whether it is expensive.

If I said that is expensive, they will look for other options until I said YES. Hmm.. very considerate anak mommy.. So even if it’s a toy from China n cekai2 n cost RM2-3 also they don’t mind. So this year since we had our Raya here n my children had been exposed with this duit raya concept, they made their own conclusion that they have their own money. And they can spend it as they wish.

So they started to list down toys to buy. As promised a week after Raya I brought them to Toys R Us. They chose the toy n when it’s payment time I told them that I am gonna use their duit raya. I took their purse n showed to them n they agreed.

Today I went to the Mall n as usual they wanted to buy toys. At first I was reluctant to buy. I told them that they just bought one recently. Nabila understood n accepted it well but not Hakeem. I told them if u want, I have to use their duit raya. The reason is just to show n teach them the value of money. If u buy something means u use money.

Hakeem didn’t care n bother at all as long he got what he wants. Nabila already bought books but when she saw Hakeem got a toy n she wanted to have one for herself too. So when it’s payment time, I took out their duit raya to pay. The total was RM69.99. I took out all the RM1 notes n counted at the counter.

Nabila at that moment when she saw me took out all the RM1 notes, started to stop me n told me that she changed her mind n didn’t want to buy any toy. I said I have to pay as the cashier had waiting for the money. The purse which was previously thick with the RM1 notes now became thin!

After a while I saw Nabila was sobbing n weeping over her duit raya. Oh my God.. I didn’t know that she was totally upset about it. Maybe when she saw me took 60 pieces of RM1 notes, she thought that she has used up all her money.

At that moment I felt so guilty. My approached this time didn’t really work. Last time I used the RM50 note n the purse still looks thick with lots of money. She didn’t mind n still happy. But now she was totally sad n must be thinking that her money had become lesser.

I explained to her the situation. I am so sorry my princess. Mommy didn’t mean to hurt you. After she had got back to herself, she came to me n said “Mommy, next time I don’t want to buy anything as I want to save n keep my money. Now I know u use lots of money to buy toy for me n Hakeem”.

Oh… I hugged n kissed her with tears in my eyes. That was such a sweet n thoughtful remarks from my 6 years old daughter. I am sorry my dear that you have to learned it thru a hard way. I didn't mean to hurt u. I felt so guilty for making u feeling miserable n sad just now.

When I saw her opened up her Pony box with the glow n excitement in her eyes, I know that she deserves to have that.

No comments: