Tuesday 30 September 2008

Raya Eve

Esuk Hari Raya! Yes.. today is the last day of Ramadhan n we will be celebrating Eid tomorrow. At last after 7 years not being able to celebrate Raya here in my hometown, I finally have the chance. This year I will be celebrating Eid in Malacca. On the second day we will be driving back to Alor Setar.

Those days during this Raya eve when my Mom was still around, I was the busiest person in the house. Being the only daughter in the family I was like orang kanan to my Mom. I still remember helping her made ketupat. My mom was very good in making ketupat from the coconut leaves. I then helped her to fill up the ketupat with rice.

My mom loved to bake cookies. She sometimes got ordered from her friends. Her specialty was pineapple jam tart. As for me, I was in charged in making cakes. I used to make orange cake, marble n chocolate cake. Oh.. I really miss those days. The moments when I was busying helping my mom in the kitchen preparing for Raya dishes.


Tonight here in Malacca it’s a tradition that people coming around from house to house to perform takbir. Our house here is not as busy coz only my family, Nazri n Kak Ngah who are celebrating Raya here. Mak said it’s a normal yearly cooking that she’s going to prepare for tomorrow.

Both of my two little kids – Nabila & Hakeem now seem to understand what Raya is all about. They really are looking forward for tomorrow n so excited to put on their baju melayu n baju kurung.

This year I didn’t make any cookies n didn’t have to prepare any dish for Raya. I am just helping my mother in-law preparing all the cooking. Certainly I am also missing the time celebrating Raya abroad. As for me, no matter where you celebrate the festival either in Malaysia or abroad, the most important thing is as long as your family are with u.

No comments: