Thursday 12 June 2008

Ain't Working?

There were a few occasions when I met strangers or anybody that I just got to know was surprised that I am not working. It will normally start with self introducing then later on asking ‘where do u work?’. And I sincerely said ‘I am not working’.

Then the person said ‘Not working?’ n I said ‘Yes’. Her face then kind of stunned that I am not working. And that made me regret saying that. I should have just said that I am working. But what is wrong if I said that I am not working?

I went to one shop n on the way out the sales lady asked me whether I am working. I said I am not working. She asked again as to confirm ‘not working?’ I said ‘Yes’. Then she asked ‘then what u do?’ I said I am not working n just stay at home. Does that make u happy? – of course I didn’t say that to her. Then she sent me out with the unsatisfactory look!

Do I look like somebody graduated from Oxford? Do I look like somebody that is not supposed to walk in to your shop? Or maybe I am just not worth to be entertained. Or maybe u feel sorry that I am jobless?

I don’t dress like a rich wealthy lady. I don’t look like Mak Datin. I don’t carry designer handbag or shoes. I am just a simple middle age lady who seems to be ‘lucky’ that I don’t have to work. But wait… I don’t live like a leisure lady though I don’t work. I don’t have a helper/maid. I have to do all my house chores by myself. Just name it –scrubbing the toilet bowl? Wash/iron clothes? Cooking?

That doesn’t count me as a chauffeur to my kids’ n sometimes ‘peon’ who running around here n there paying all the bills. Beside that I am also the home tutor for my kids. See.. now I doesn’t sound like I am jobless.

Technically I am not working with any company n to be called as a career woman. BUT what I am doing now is more than enough. More than anybody can be labelled as a career successful woman. I don’t go against those who are working. I was working before n I enjoyed every second of my life at that time.

I am sometimes even envy hearing some of my friends who are now well achieved in their career. At first I was so frustrated to leave my job which at that time was the peak moment of my career. I have to choose between my family and career. And I had made a good choice.

And I am not bit regret to be what I am now. This is the most honourable job that anybody could have. And I believe everybody will agree with me. Though I don’t take home 4 figures salary but I am more than happy to earn what I have now. I can be closer to my kids n have my most quality time with them. Cook for my family n see them grown up in front of me.

And this is the best profession n moment in my life.

1 comment:

My corner said...

tak keje pun takpe..janji duit masuk..depa tu semua jealous jer tu....hehehe..keep it up..VOGUEMOM...tak gitu