Saturday 2 August 2008

Total Solar Eclipse



Yesterday evening on my way down from Genting (fetched nadira for home visit) where I stopped by to buy lemang, my father called me. He told me that we will be having an eclipse (gerhana matahari) at 5.17pm. I looked at my watch n it was 4.10pm at that time. He told me that he will be going to the mosque to perform solat gerhana n asar.

All of us at that time were actually hungry n decided to stop by at Taman Melati for our meal. I was so busy eating (kelaparan as I forgot my lunch) n totally forgot about the eclipse things. I started driving back home which at that time was 5.45pm n I remembered about it n quickly looked up on the sky which of course confused n didn’t know what was I suppose to see.

At first I was looking for the sun, a bit difficult of course while driving. I then shouted to my kids to look n find the sun up there. We actually couldn’t see the sun shined but what we saw was a cloudy sky. The cloudy sky which looked like it’s gonna rain. Maybe that was the eclipse. Total solar eclipse.

When we almost reached the NKVE toll, then only we saw the bright sun shined above us. Yes! Maybe what I saw just now was the eclipse. Maybe I didn’t really see it because of our location n timing but at least I was able to witness the processed of it.

A total solar eclipse is when the moon passes in front of the sun and blocks it completely.

Have a look at this site n watch the video.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/2008/

No comments: