Saturday 9 February 2013

Small Things Can Make A Big Difference

A week ago, I received a lovely surprise note from somebody that I respect so much. I felt that I have done nothing great to receive this kind of gratitude from her.

In our life, unexpected moments can sometimes make us feel good with ourselves. And syukur Alhamdullilah, the little small thing that I have done can make others happy. Here the story begins....

I love to cook. If you ask anybody that knows me, they will tell you that my passion is cooking and baking. I don't just cook for myself, or family, but I love to invite friends coming over to my house to try out my food or sometimes send food to them. 

Since I was small, I always see my mom busying in the kitchen cooking and baking. There were always visitors in our home. My relatives and my parent's friends always complimented my mom's cooking. Everybody loved it.My mom never get tired of cooking and entertaining people. 

She was not 'somebody' or a well known person, but just an ordinary woman with a big heart. I have grown up learning and seeing all these things. When I got married, this kind of spirit naturally flows into me. I always cook and invite my relatives or friends to join us. I am lucky as my hubby shares the same spirit. 

It's like a routine; there will be at least one guest coming over to our house once a week or two. Sometimes I will share my cooking/baking dishes with my friends by sending over to their home. It feels incomplete if we don't do this 'routine'. If you ask me - why do I have to do all these things? I have no answer for it. I just feel good doing all this routine, especially looking at the happy faces after eating my food. That is what makes me happy the most.

A couple of weeks ago, I cooked Laksa Utara. While cooking, I remembered this one special person. I sent a full set of Laksa to her house for her lunch as I remembered a day before we were having a chat about this Laksa Utara. I know her husband and she love it.

To my surprise, a few days later she returned back the laksa container with this special note. 


I was so touched when reading it. It was nothing special that I have done but just sharing something that I cooked with others. Something that I always do and love doing it. 

This story and letter could be nothing to others but it means so much to me. Not that I am always expecting reward for each deed that I do but sometimes these kind of notes can just make my day.

To this special lady, Datin Musrifah, who is the wife of Malaysian Ambassador in Sultanate of Oman - thank you so much for the lovely thoughtful note. You are such a special person with kind good heart. You are the best person who I happened to meet - many love and thanks!
"We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act." - Charlotte Lunsford.

No comments: